Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Monday, October 17, 2005

I Owe A Lot To Monty Python


I don’t know what possessed me to think on it, but here it is anyway:

I was walking down a hallway at work just now, on my way to pick up mail for my charges; when I started reciting an old Monty Python bit. One of my favorites from the two-disc soundtrack I keep in my car. It was radio theatre, performed by the mentally infirm. Idjits. They’re supposed to be performing this esteemed bit of melodrama, and the guys are just stomping around, running through the walls, all sorts of great stuff.

“Comb een!” (Actor proceeds to blast through door, great noisy SFX) “I meant open tha DOOR and comb eeen…”

“Sorray…” (Crashes through another wall.)

“Deuh! My bwain hurts!!”

“Sorray…”

It occurred to me, just reciting those lines of comedy gold, that I had slipped into my Nicodemus voice and stomped around a bit (in my head, not actually stomping in the hall. They frown on that kinda thing). Nicodemus from The Mystery of Irma Vep was more or less completely inspired by the Monty Python dunce characters.


I’d completely forgotten where I’d gotten the voice from in the first place.

The omnipresent expression of mildly aggressive confusion just came along with the rest of the package. Right down to a loud “Deuh!!!” on every single entrance through the upstage French doors.

I think Nicodemus could lumber into a room with those nitwits and feel right at home. Think I should write them a thank-you letter for the inspiration?

“Very loike… Very loike.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home