Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Monday, June 13, 2005

Like The Sun On Your Face

Consider Woman: Personality-wise, something about every single one of them is uniquely their own. I’ve yet to meet two that are overwhelmingly alike. On the other hand, I’ve known plenty of guys that I could shuffle into general categories without batting an eye, but in their defense I’m not in the habit of seeking out the most miniscule details in my fellow… fellows.

And while I consider it foolish to try to quantify the mystery element in the gender as a whole, that doesn’t stop me from appreciating the aspects of women (individuals and in general) that I find appealing.

In my slam poetry, I find myself writing about women (again, individuals and in general) as often as I write about anything else. They’ve certainly got a greater hold on my attention than any other one subject to write about.

Take a woman’s warmth. Nope, not referring to her overall body temperature, but her ability to show compassion, appreciation, and tenderness. I deliberately left affection off the list, because that’s something that you’d share with a single individual you care about. The other three could be arguably more widely-used qualities. I find a woman’s warmth to be very important, and it goes a ways in gauging how much I’d like to spend time with the person. (Not talking exclusively about someone I’d want to date.) People that give one the cold shoulder, almost always with a feeling of deliberateness, are a big turn off. It’s a precursor to flat-out not liking the person.

Show me a woman with genuine warmth, and I’ll show you a guy that wouldn’t mind doing her a favor if the occasion arose. As an extension of courtesy, if nothing else.

The reason this topic crossed my mind? Namely
Kelly Macdonald. I’m a big fan of the actress and her work. I recently saw Finding Neverland, a terrific (if bittersweet) film, and Kelly played Peter Pan. The role was a relatively small one, as the movie concerned the author more than his most famous work. Nevertheless, Macdonald shone in the part. I’ve seen her in other roles, and what’s struck me as much as anything else was her ability to display warmth of character. Her face positively glowed with it.

I’m not going to claim to know anything about the actress in real life. The parts one plays and the person that plays them are separate entities, no question there. Still. She represents an excellent example of what I’m talking about.

That’s all I got at the moment. More to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home