Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Monday, June 06, 2005

It's Almost New Year's

For me, anyway… I should explain.

Since I graduated from college and finished my tour with Theatre IV, I’ve been auditioning each summer for the League of Washington Theatres. This year will be no different. I’ve got my brand new headshots waiting for me at Kinko’s, my résumé is in good shape, and this time tomorrow I’ll be well-ensconced in line outside the Imagination Stage to drop off 65 copies of each for a 90-second slot sometime next week.

It’s my New Year. This will be my third time in attendance, and I knew this time last year it was going to become an annual event for yours truly. Frankly, it holds more significance to me than drinking champagne and watching a ball drop at the end of the coldest month of the year. So this is it, the event by which I set my personal calendar.

I’ve got a new monologue ready for it this year, and I’m even gonna sing a few bars from The Last 5 YearsMoving Too Fast, time permitting. I’m actually doing a piece from my own writing. It guarantees that the castors haven’t heard it before, which is an edge I like having. The best Arthur Miller monologue in the world won’t stop them from thinking “I’ve heard this one three times this week.” Two years previous I did Alco-Chocoholism, which wasn’t much of a monologue, granted, but it did demonstrate that I had decent comic timing and that’s a good thing. This year it’s something new, and I can’t wait.

Every year there’s this part of me that fears that the local Union actors will snag all the spots before I even get there… It hasn’t happened yet. Keep some fingers crossed for me, will you?

More to follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home