Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

No Biz Like Show Biz

Actors can be some pretty cool people. One of the things I like most about ‘em (myself included) is that certain ambitions can take only months instead of a lifetime to realize. After they’re through, we move on to other ambitions.

We hear a certain play is going to be produced. That play contains a certain part we want, very much, to perform and make our own. Every actor has at least one ‘dream’ part, or at least a part in the upcoming season that they know they want and will strive for. For me, the last such part was in The Mystery of Irma Vep. Before that, it was Hal in Proof. I played them both, and I think I played them well.

Now it’s Mary’s turn.

Mary is a woman I’ve known for just over a year now. (I mentioned her in an earlier post listing the four women that have the power to shut me up.) For that entire year, she knew that a local theatre was going to be putting on the show Gypsy. She wanted the lead, and anticipated the auditions for it with optimism.

Now it’s a year later, and Gypsy opens this Friday night in Gaithersburg. Mary got the role she was hoping for, and I can’t wait to see it. Way to go, Mary!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home