Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, May 13, 2005

Got New Headshots

Businessmen have business cards. Everyone has some sort of résumé to take with them on prospective job interviews. Of course, your normal businessman doesn’t necessarily find himself having to reprint his card every two to three years. Unless of course, he gets a raise and a promotion.

It’s a bit different for those of us in showbiz. Time and tide dictate that our faces gradually change, and therefore we need new headshots, periodically, every three to four years. The whole point of the headshot is to capture who you are, in one perfect picture. It’s hopefully attention-grabbing, and serves to let the castor know who the heck you are without having ever met you.

I was hoping, being baby-faced as I am, that I could go a good while (another year at least) without needing an update to my showbiz card. Then I got an awakening at Irma Vep, where my headshot was deliberately replaced with a picture taken weeks ago. The sad fact was that I no longer looked my old headshot.

It’s bloody convenient having a brother with a photographic eye. Andrew has been an artist for over a decade, and the camera lens has become one of his best mediums. He also agreed to take my headshots pro bono because he’d never done it before and was looking to get into the field. Headshots are a tricky, specific business. And he did a great job.

Now I can face my next auditions knowing I look like the guy in the photo I’ll be handing out. Thanks, bro.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home