Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, May 06, 2005

This Made My Afternoon

Someone who shall remain nameless (if it is their real name, very doubtful) emailed this to me this afternoon. The typos are his:

Attn: I am ***** ****.attorney to Late paulton Allen a foreigner and an Engineer with Atlas Engineering Co.Late paulton Allens has an account with B.I.DB. which he set up in 1980.He died in 1996 in Benin Republic of West Africa. I received a memo early this year from the international remittance unit of Banque .Internationale Du.Benin(B.I.D.B) for an interview about $45M USD that belongs to my client Late P.Allen ,The Bank informed me on their policy to Freeze the account of Late Paulton Allen and redirect his funds $45m usd back to government treasury because they saw no next of kinin his entire file within the bank and his acct has been dormant for many years which is against the policy of the B.I.DB. I am contacting you because of the need to involve a foreigner with foreign account as the foreign beneficiary to that fund.I have resolved to share the money in this ratio.50% for me,35% for you ,10% for the remittance manager in the bank who has agreed to guide us for the success of our objectives and 5% for expences we might incurre in the processing of this transaction. I will need your full name and address,including your bank account informations where the funds will be processed into. i will also need your telephone and fax numbers for oral communications too.I will start the processing of all the legal documents to back up your claim immediately you send all the required information.I will give you further details on the entire process when i receive your positive response. Rrgards ***** ****

Yeah. Sure. Pull the other one. Still, feeling a healthy dollop of venom collecting in my fingers, I was obligated to reply with the following:

Good afternoon.

Tell me, does anyone ever actually *fall* for this scam? I can't imagine anyone in their right mind being willing to hand over *any* kind of important information to someone they've never heard of before, in a poorly written email, claiming to be a vague foreigner using a YAHOO account.

You're an idiot. Get a new job.

Yours,

A man with a brain in his head.


Anyone else have good stories of crap like this making it to your inbox?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home