Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

And I Could Really Use A Cigar

You know that feeling you get when someone mentions something like a particular beverage or snack and then all of a sudden, you want one yourself? The brakes on a freight train couldn’t stop you from thinking, “Man. That would really hit the spot.”

I want a cigar. One was just mentioned and now I’m thinking I’d like one. This is not entirely out of the blue. I’ve been enjoying cigars for years, off and on, when my budget has allowed them. I even bought a box of Romeo Y Julietas once, and it was gone in little over a month. I could really go for a cigar right now.

Before you turn up your nose and say something to the effect of “Ew, yuck, how disgusting,” et cetera, please note that there are plenty of worse habits I could indulge. (Like inhaling smoke, for starters.) Cigars are a great way to unwind, to reduce a small amount of stress. They take time out of your day that you can use to read, talk with a friend, or just get some fresh air. Well. Relatively fresh air, after the stogie’s been lit.

The cigar is a lot like coffee. Neither happens by accident. Both require careful selection of a crop and then the repeated application of heat and other processes to get to something that is an acquired taste. They come in a variety of blends and flavors. The unenlightened non-coffee drinker takes a sip and thinks “Hmm. Bitter.” The unenlightened cigar hater takes one sniff and thinks “Hmph. Smoke.”

I’m not alone in my enjoyment of a good cigar. It’s rare, but I have known women who also enjoyed the smell (if not actually smoking cigars themselves), or at least said they did. The majority of them had a father or grandfather who used to smoke cigars and the scent was a fond reminder.

Cigars are something to have in common with a friend. It gives you another thing to talk about, should a topic be lacking. It’s also an effective way to get rid of annoying company.

In any case. In the last few years I’ve always made sure that no-one in the immediate vicinity had any complaints about my enjoying one. I’ve tried to be considerate to the people around me. And if you don’t like them, and I’m with you, I won’t have one. It is only a cigar after all.

Still. I would really enjoy one right now…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home