Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Taking a Closer Look

Having the night off, I popped by Our Lady of Blockbuster and picked up a flick to pass the evening. Namely, Closer.

I’ve been a fan of Natalie Portman ever since I saw Leon, International version of The Professional. She’s a talented actress, as well as just striking. I never got around to seeing the flick when it was in the theaters, but I had nothing stopping me from renting the bloody thing.

Meh.

Clive Owen, Julia Roberts, Jude Law, and the lovely Ms. Portman all do fine jobs with the roles they’ve been given; but there’s too little substance to it to make me want to see it again.

I’m not giving anything away to say that the movie is about people in relationships that cheat on each other. It doesn’t help the film’s chances with me that I hate adultery to begin with. It’s something I don’t sympathize with at all. (Not with falling out of love with someone or being attracted to someone else. That’s human. But I think you should break up with someone before you cheat on them, if they’re not doing it for you anymore.)

Putting my own opinions about it aside, the movie doesn’t really carry out the infidelity well. The two couples show a good chemistry within their own, but when Jude and Julia meet up, they just… ugh.

You know what? Forget it. I can’t give this damn flick any kind of objectivity. A friend of mine said she loved it, I know her tastes are good, and at least somewhat comparable to my own. How I put my opinion of this movie another way: I just don’t get it.

I don’t get how these four people mesh together so tightly when they’re all so very wrong for each other. I don’t get why they even like each other, let alone love. They say horrible things (this isn’t about the profanity), they treat each other miserably, and yet somehow have the power to be surprised by the outcome of their own choices. I guess that’s supposed to make it a sobering look at the worst human beings can do to each other, emotionally speaking, to crib a line from my friend. I just see it as a foursome of gluttons for punishment, setting their table and chowing down. Good riddance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home