Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Monday, March 28, 2005

Opening Night

The Mystery of Irma Vep opened this weekend at the Industrial Strength Theatre in Herndon, VA. We had a sold-out house for both performances. Out-freaking-standing.

My co-star, Nano Gowland, and I would be hard pressed to find a better way to spend two and a half hours. I can’t remember the last time I had that much fun on stage, just doing what we do. Playing in Irma Vep is a workout, but a vacation, too. The audience had a great time if their laughter was any indication (and the Standing O we got on Saturday!), and the whole thing is one great whirlwind of kinetic goings-on from start to finish.

I love it. I love doing this show, I love the audience’s reactions, I love getting to use silly voices onstage for once rather than getting looks from friends for using them elsewhere… The script leaves itself wide open for plenty of sight-gags, and the time spent ad-libbing while we cover for each other (doing one of dozens of quick changes) make some of the funniest moments of the whole show.

My best friend, Pedro, came opening night. He’s coming back in two weeks to see the show again; this time he’s bringing a date. He said that his stomach hurt after the show, he was laughing so hard.

I have to tip my hat to my good friend Leta; who let me know about auditions for this in the first place. She handed me a copy of the script, and let me know when and where auditions were. Thanks, Leta.

The only thing that I would change about this show is the fact that it only has 7 more performances. Curses. This is one show I would absolutely love to take on the road indefinitely… Oh well. In any case, I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts.

If you can, please come see it. I promise you won’t regret it.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger Leta said…

    All I ask is that every time you accept a major award, you recite that paragraph. You know: "Thank you for this major award. I have to tip my hat to my good friend Leta; who let me know about auditions for this in the first place. She handed me a copy of the script, and let me know when and where auditions were. Thanks, Leta."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home