Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, February 25, 2005

Actor's Nightmare

It's been a long time since I've had the actor's nightmare, but it was every bit as uncomfortable as the last time I had it.

You probably know the drill; you find yourself onstage with absolutely no idea of what your lines are. You're lucky if you know what play you're doing. For me, last night the show of choice was Proof. I was half way through Act one, Scene one. It was a complete debacle.

I did Proof about three months ago, now. Feels like less time has passed, and more. Andrea was a terrific co-star, but in my dreams last night she was as far up the creek as I was. We were doing the show again; in a new, smaller, uncomfortable space with strangers watching us from less than three feet away. I forgot my props. I forgot my lines. I couldn't focus to save my life. Andrea wasn't pleased, I wasn't pleased, the audience wasn't amused, Norm the director certainly wasn't happy. I couldn't blame him.

Just a mess over all. Just a mess. And the root of the anxiety no doubt stems from the fact that rehearsals for Irma Vep continue to roll along despite the fact that I don't feel prepared for 'em. I still need more time to drill lines into my head; it's a two-man show. Rehearsal tonight, rehearsal tomorrow.

Keep your fingers crossed. In the mean time, I'll keep drilling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home