Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, March 18, 2005

The Short List

As stated in the previous posting, there are exactly four people I know that can effectively shut me up. I’m a talkative guy in the right environment (not including the work place, more like a church mouse there), yet these particular ladies found ways to get me to stop talking altogether.

Heather, I’ve known the longest. She’s one of my oldest friends (going on ten years this August), and she can pretty much do it with a look if it’s time to be serious.

Wendy is a girl I’ve known since college, and falling for her (myself along with nearly every guy she meets) wasn’t hard. We’ve remained great friends through thick and thin, and she has mastered the “Shut up, Casey” glare without even trying. First time she struck me with it, I felt like I had been smacked in the face, it was so startling to see such a stern look coming out of warm, friendly hazel eyes.

Then there’s Tamia. She has my number. She completely has my number. We were comrades on stage with Theatre IV, and toured together. Bouncing from hotel to hotel with a handful or less of people for months on end gets to become very close. You will either love your cohorts, or hate their guts, by the end. Tamia also mastered the “Shut up, Casey” glare very quickly. I can be a handful, what can I say.

As for Mary… well, her power to get me silent in no way resembles that of her co-list compatriots. When I talk to Mary, it’s like having to fine-tune my mental frequency. The usual chatter just won’t cut it. She’s a wonderful girl to spend time talking to. There are times when I will find myself completely flustered; and no two words have a prayer of meeting up in my head to try to start a sentence. My mouth just runs out.

To date, she’s the only person I’ve met with whom that’s the case. For the sake of my verbosity, I hope there aren’t too many like her out there. That would be a real shame.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home