Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Wednesday, March 23, 2005

The Infinite Necessity of Velcro

The Mystery of Irma Vep opens this Friday. Everything has come together: Lights; sound cues (over 100), props… and costumes. This show would not be possible (for two actors, the way it is intended) without the help of Velcro. George de Mestral really knew what he was doing when he invented the stuff.

Of course, things don’t always go perfectly. In the third act, Nano attempts to rip a sleeve off the dress I’m wearing. Of course, the sleeve has not yet been tailored to come off, and so instead, the dress nearly came off entirely. The Velcro fastens in the back, so fortunately the audience of the director, stage manager, sound technician, make-up artist, and one or two others didn’t see anything they weren’t supposed to wardrobe-wise, but the rest of the scene was played out sprawled up against a wall to prevent my back from showing. They couldn’t stop laughing. I had a time of it myself, keeping my act together.

This show is going to be something. I cannot wait for Friday to arrive. If you’re anywhere near Herndon, I sincerely hope you’ll come check it out.

That’s all, folks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home