Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Monday, March 21, 2005

Great Way to Kill a Day

Saturday, I reported to the Industrial Strength Theatre at 9:30 AM and got down to work on getting The Mystery of Irma Vep ship-shape for this coming Friday. It's a huge collaborative effort involving some great people at Elden Street Players. I brought coffee. (The good kind, too, for everyone to share in Joyce's coffee-maker. And there was rejoicing.) After rehearsing, a break for lunch, and a six-hour cue-to-cue, we were let go around 6:30.

I don't know what it was, but I was tired all day Saturday. Friday night I got home from work, didn't get to bed that late, and woke up as not the morning person. The cue-to-cue is an important step in the rehearsal process, and it was made no less delightful by my inexplicable exhaustion. Still. We got through, and at 7:30 or so I pulled into my driveway. At which point I went to bed. I was done.

I woke up bright and early (not to mention refreshed) Sunday morning with absolutely nothing to do. I made coffee, had breakfast, watched The Incredibles, had lunch... and was bored out of my skull by noon.

I thrive on being busy; I don't like doing nothing, and these days it's rare that there's nothing for me to do. But I knew my lines, there was nothing new to read, I'd seen all my movies... so I decided to go out for a walk. Got a haircut, too. (Needed one anyway for the show.) This got me to 3 o'clock, where I was once again at a loss for a diversion.

At which point, I remembered I had a game I picked up for my X-Box that I hadn't really gotten into yet; namely Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. I sat down, resumed a game I had spent less than an hour on total, and got sucked in. Like slipping into a warm bath...

Next thing I knew, it was time for dinner. Then, it was time to do laundry. Then time for bed. The game (which I'm getting good at) successfully finished out the rest of my day. Thanks, George Lucas. You rock.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home