Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Monday, April 25, 2005

Great Job, Leta!

I caught a show of Independence yesterday at the Silver Spring Stage. It was a small cast featuring Martha Abrams, Sharon Morey, Maura Stadem and Leta Hall. All four did a terrific job with a script penned by a guy who has a real talent for writing women. I could feel the tenuous relationships between the sisters, and with their mother.

Maura did a bang-up job as the very free-spirited Sherry, youngest daughter of the family. I worked with Maura last fall in Proof and it was great to see her back at the SSS. Leta's Kess was a very credible moderator, trying to find a balance between saying what's necessary to retain what little sanity the household has, and doing what's right to see that the family survives itself.

I took a class for a few weeks earlier this year with Martha Abrams, who played the mater familias Evelyn. Her intensity was sobering, and made me grateful for my own family which has a slightly smaller number of cuckoos. Sharon Morey did a wonderful job as the passive-aggressively repressed daughter Jo, who was struggling with her own deadlines.

A very good play that has only one more weekend, I highly recommend it. Go check it out, and tell Leta Casey said hi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home