Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Monday, April 18, 2005

I Miss Irma Vep. *Sniff*

Well, it’s done. The Mystery of Irma Vep’s run has come to its inevitable close. And I really, really miss it.

I’ve been doing this acting thing for a number of years, now. High School, College (granted it was largely Guard duty), professionally and non, I’ve done plenty of shows. Most of them were fun, a lot of work and memorable; but when they were put to bed, I didn’t dwell on it and I moved on with ease.

I haven’t been this attached to a show since High School. The Crucible was the spring show and our last chance to act as Seniors. Half of us were fighting tears at the final curtain. We knew we weren’t going to work together again. I think it had more to do with that sense of finality and less to do with the play.

This time it’s both. I loved working with Nano, Bruce, Joyce, Kat and Kim, Gina, Stan, Austin, Tori, Kevin, John, Mike, everybody. Nobody had an attitude or gave less than their level best. And the play itself… I have never had as much fun, just doing what I do best. The chemistry with Nano was effortless. The crowds that came in had a great time and they showed it. Family, friends, and even co-workers showed their support by filling seats. It was a terrific work out, to boot.

I think what I’ll miss most was the tangible bond we had with the audience, every night. I could feel it. Touch it. Pull it a little or give it some slack. Nano and I had the audience in our hands, and we were given license to run with them. Even when something went wrong, and we were forced to adapt and ad lib as the circumstances demanded; the crowd loved it and called for more. It was nothing short of beautiful.

And now it’s over. Even though I’m not currently working on any new plays, I know it’s only a matter of time. Regardless: I’m left with the satisfaction of finishing a job well done, with new friends and great memories to savor.

I kind of wish I’d stolen the wooden leg when I had the chance, though. Talk about a conversation piece.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home