Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Monday, April 18, 2005

A Strange, Strange Dream

I know people who have never been able to remember their dreams after they wake up. It’s just not something they’re able to do. I can usually remember mine for at least a few hours, and the truly vivid ones; I’ve never forgotten.

This morning’s was a doozy. Nothing profound or anything in it, but still worthy of note; so here it goes. I dreamt I was an administrative assistant in the Galactic Empire. Yes, the Star Wars Galactic Empire. That one. We have our own theme music. The CEO will kill you as soon as look at you.

I had my own desk (gray and red were the predominate themes in the office, but I don’t recall having a uniform). I was minding my own business when I got a communiqué that informed me that the Emperor needed a document printed out for a PowerPoint presentation he was going to be making later that day. However, the Empire didn’t use Windows so I was a bit harried to find the right file and print it out before the meeting took place. Nick of time stuff.

I was waiting for a very large elevator to arrive, when I noticed a little girl standing in the hallway. It was Nano’s (my costar from Irma Vep) youngest daughter. She had no earthly business being in an Imperial building, let alone my subconscious. She asked me what I was doing, and I told her I was delivering some important papers to someone important. She rolled her eyes at me, shook her head with disbelief, and walked off. I noted that it was weird but thought nothing more of it.

The elevator arrived and I was ferried to the conference room du jour. It was large and cylindrical, not entirely unlike the Senate hall from the first two episodes. I tried to look nonchalant as possible putting the paperwork on the main desk, before slipping out. I didn’t get that far. Someone tapped me on the shoulder (just another Imperial grunt) and said I was invited to stay for the meeting. Eeeeeep.

I sat down for the meeting at a small desk and waited. Sure enough, Palpatine (looking younger than he does in Jedi) appeared, and got on a podium that started hovering around the room. It seemed like he was making an introductory speech to a large group of new employees. Way to be hands on with the staff, your worship.

It was at this point he mentioned a zero-tolerance policy on corporate espionage (as if the Empire were simply a large conglomerate), especially after the debacle with the first Death Star. To prove he was serious, he pointed at some poor schmuck with an unwelcome camera in his hands (another new employee) and fried him on the spot with lighting coursing from his hands. Way to be hands on with the staff, your worship.

He thanked us for our attention, welcomed us to the company, and zoomed away. Moments from being woken up by my alarm, all I could think was: He never even touched the papers I brought him. Oy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home