Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, May 06, 2005

Identity Theft

It’s funny. Identity Theft falls into the category of things you think can’t happen to you. It happens to someone you hear about, or someone you know, but that’s it. It doesn’t happen to you.

I found out this morning that someone has been using my account in Canada, making a few purchases. I haven’t been to Canada in over a decade; and unless I had a *serious* lapse in memory, I wasn’t there yesterday when the charges were made.

The reason I find it a little amusing is because I’m not really upset about it. The bank card has been frozen, I can spare the money that was erroneously spent until the bank credits it back to me, and I get a new card in about a week. That’s it. End of story. Hopefully the jerk (or jerkette, I won’t deny the possibility it was a woman) will get caught, but I won’t be holding my breath ‘til it happens. I haven’t done anything irresponsible with my account or my credit info, so I don’t know how the person got a hold of it. I’m sure I couldn’t guess.

Regardless, let this be a warning, dear readers. Take an extra measure of care with your money, lest some jerk do to you what has been done to me. However it managed to happen. That’s all I got at the moment.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, Casey. You know snuck off to Canada to buy some Canadian Bacon. Mmmm.... Bacon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home