Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, October 21, 2005

Think, Think, Think

It’s been a day for thought. Don’t always like those.

I was sent out earlier this afternoon to fetch half a gallon of Half-n-Half for the office fridge. The office fridge likes having Half-n-Half in its coffee. That the fridge drinks.

Driving in noon-time traffic gives one plenty of time to think, what with all the not-driving. And I found myself… angry. Frustrated. At what, I don’t quite know.

It occurred to me yesterday that the main protagonist of Nocturne may have one large flaw; in that she doesn’t have any flaws. Tahnima’s temporarily being corralled into ‘Mary Sue’ status. The trick, then, is to incorporate some good ‘uns that will humanize her a bit, without taking away too much from the rest of her. Although a) she isn’t human, and b) Sydney Bristow seems conspicuously Mary Sueish, and no-one’s complained about her. Being played by Jennifer Garner helps.

ANYWAY.

I’ve had stupid, asinine thoughts pinging through my brain all day; the greatest of which was about the neck-tie. Why do we wear ‘em? It’s basically just a cravat for some fetching lady to yank one into a smooch; which no-one seems to be taken advantage of. *Shrug* There was a girl I knew in High School who had a thing for neck-ties for that sole reason, not that we ever dated.

Why neck-ties? They don’t serve any purpose but to catch mustard, constrict breathing, complete the corporate uniform and say the world, “Look at the tie I picked out today, I can (or cannot) color-coordinate. And oh yes, it’s pointing to my pants.”

It’s worth mentioning that for a stretch in high school, I wore a tie most days at a school that didn’t require a uniform. I did this because I wanted to stand out in a way that didn’t require piercing myself, a strange hair-cut, or make-up. Not once was I yanked by the tie into a smooch. Pity.

Still waiting on that new knob, for my brain. This one’s stuck on 11.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home