Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Got No Witty Title For This


I saw The Crucible last night, performed by the Reston Community Players. Damn, was it a good show. I've seen the show performed before (hell, I've done the show before), and this was the best production I've seen.

My friend David played Deputy Governor Danforth. I like watching David work. He definitely has his own style, and he brings it to every role I've seen him in. (This is the same David from Book of Days last fall.) He's got a knack for the straight-laced characters, and Danforth's laces couldn't be straighter.

The set was something special. Windows were on skewed angles, effectively distorting the dimensions of the sets. The forest scenes were very nicely done as well.

I'd be remiss if I didn't at least mention the exemplary work of his co-stars. Vivien Bligh portrayed a wonderfully vulnerable Elizabeth Proctor. You could cut the tension between her on-stage husband John with a knife.

Heather Benjamin played Abigail with plenty of venom, which is exactly what the role calls for. The best performance, I have to say, was in the hands of Joshua Redford, who played John Proctor. Damn. Outstanding work.

Tonight is their closing performance, so if you're in the mood for some heart-rending work, head for Reston.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home