Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thoughts, Comments?


Don Imus was fired. His nationally syndicated program, Imus In The Morning was cancelled effective immediately, this morning. Don Imus was fired.

Now, I don't listen to Don Imus. I'm no great fan of his. I'm more interested in the fact that the man was fired from a job he's held for decades; over one sentence.

In the past, he's jokingly referred to himself on the air as "racist, senile, stupid and lame." It's his 'bit' as much as Howard Stern's is being horny 24/7. I'm not suggesting he isn't racist, senile, stupid and lame; but at least he cops to it and people should know what to expect if they're going to listen to his show.

Was what he said inappropriate? Yeah. Should there have been repercussions? Yeah. He apologized to the team he offended. I don't know if that was necessarily 'enough', but I don't think he should have lost his job over it.

Does that make me racially insensitive? I can't say. I'm just me. But I'd love to hear some thoughts on this whole thing.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger Leta said…

    Case, Don Imus was fired because the sponsors were unwilling to underwrite him because they didn't want to lose the buying power of people who find Imus offense and because the network was unwilling to lose that much advertising revenue, which is how the free market works. He'll find a nice, cushy berth on satellite in a few weeks, more's the pity.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home