Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Sunday, September 25, 2005

No Crab For The French!


At the show on Saturday, God only knows how it came up, we were talking about the various names for types of meat. Cows = Beef, Pigs =Pork, Sheep = Mutton. It dawned on me that I didn’t know the word for Crab meat other than Crab; so I asked David (a well-read guy). He explained that all those words had French roots, and that the French didn’t eat Crab.

I asked him why, and he didn’t know. So one popped in my head. Some French chef preparing a meal and he’s brought a bushel of crabs: “What iz zees? Zut alore! Ze leetle spidery zings are trying to pinch me! Zis will not do! Get away from me wiz zat. I will serve somezing else.”

David chuckled, saying that was a better answer than whatever the hell was the truth.

Rock on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home