Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Take For It What You Will.

Dreams. Sheesh. Good ones and bad ones rolled up in the same psychedelic fajita.

Last night was a good one… I was on Saturday Night Live. Last time I dreamt of SNL, I was auditioning in front of Lorne Michaels. This was a year ago or so. In the dream, I got up and did my thing (not that I actually remember the audition itself). After it was finished, he called me over and told me that I should come back in a few years; get some experience under my belt.

Last night, I was just starting out on the show… barely even a featured cast member. I was in one sketch, with one line. Which I forgot. The sketch was live, and my co-star (I think Chris Parnell?) gave me my cue. Instead of just standing there like a moron, I shrugged (which was a good response since the question was something along the lines of “What do you have to say for yourself?”). The audience loved it. Ate it up with a spoon. In lieu of saying my line, anyway. That part was nice.

I mentioned that a bad one was rolled in with it though, didn’t I. Later that same night, after that heart-pounding moment on-camera, I was unwinding backstage when a friend of mine from another studio came up. She was working in a children’s show. I made a stupid remark (a joke) and she became very upset about it.

I spent the rest of the dream trying to get back in her good graces, to no avail. She’s a friend of mine and I didn’t want to lose her, let alone over something retarded as a slip of the tongue. The weirdest part of the whole thing was that I knew I was dreaming, and was 95% certain that she wasn’t going to know about it (or the slight) the next time I saw her.

Not that she's the kind of person to a) take something the wrong way meant as a joke, or b) let anything so trivial affect an entire frienship. But it was a dream. Rational thought never entered into it, at the time.

Go figure. Happy Labor Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home