Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Monday, August 22, 2005

The Unmitigated Power of Chocolate


As you may know, it’s been a hard couple of days. Not that I’ve taken the brunt of it by any stretch of the imagination, but still not a vacation, either.

About an hour ago, I was struck by this… wave of sadness. Don’t know what specifically brought it on, no real catalyst, but something caused me to walk outside and just look around for a bit. It is an absolutely gorgeous day outside, warm and beautiful as if God were smiling down on each and every one of us. And it didn’t make me feel a scrap better. Unable to successfully vent these feelings, they internalized and made me pretty damn nauseous.

I returned to my desk, feeling like I was going to tip over and/or explode, wasn’t quite sure which. Until a voice called from within to take a sojourn to the vending machine.

I don’t really have much of a sweet tooth. I’m much more of a ‘let’s have big heaps of salt’ kinda guy. Still, this was an ache no mountain of sunflower seeds could soothe. I looked at the rows of confections and saw the answer in a goddamn Snickers bar.

And now I feel better. I am physically relieved, on some deep level. I can’t explain it, and I don’t think I want to. But there really is something to be said for chocolate. And nougat. And peanuts.

Don’t forget caramel. Happy 200th, people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home