Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Have You Seen This?


I'll be the first to admit my eye is not a great one for appreciating artwork. The last time I visited a museum of modern art, I found only confusion on the canvases.

That aside, I want to draw your attention to the artwork of one James Jean. His work is... incredibly unique. I first encountered his work on the covers of one of my favorite comic books, Fables. He's illustrated every cover as well as the trade paper-backs.

Jean's eye for detail is remarkable. He finds a way to blend various forms, objects and characters into one another with such simple grace... sometimes into the bizarre. It's as if he took separate, defined objects and made them a part of the same jigsaw puzzle. He makes the pieces fit together in ways I've never seen before or since.

You have to see his work for yourself. So much expression goes into the faces he draws. So much... definition is in every line. To say nothing of his talents in color. I'm not doing it justice, just take my word for it and go check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home