Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Good Thing I'm Not Lactose Intolerant


Rehearsals have been going well for the Montgomery Playhouse’s upcoming production of Book of Days. Without giving anything away, the action revolves around the financial concerns of the local cheese plant. One character in particular waxes downright rhapsodically on the virtues of a well-aged cheddar. Provolone is also mentioned (not my favorite, but still good), as well as one or two others. I’ve been at rehearsals where the actor playing this character has displayed full enthusiasm about said fromage and it’s made me hungry for the real thing every time.

My mom just got back from spending a week in Paris, and could not stop raving about the cheese (to say nothing of the sights, the other cuisine, the overall atmosphere; but cheese was mentioned too). I want some. I want the real thing. I’ve never tried Stilton or Wensleydale or probably a dozen other cheeses that sounded at least halfway interesting (I *have* had Brie). I can thank Wallace & Gromit for a curiosity about those last two.

Where the heck would I find gourmet cheeses around here? I doubt my local grocer is gonna be able to satisfy the sudden craving, but that doesn’t mean I won’t look anyway. I wanna try ‘em. Maybe with a heady stout on hand or other beer that goes well with a sharp cheddar (Guinness does very well with it).

Great. Now I’m going to be stuck on cheese all day.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger mr.stinkhead said…

    Try Trader Joe's... they have weird stuff. Also, we saw some cool cheese wheels (of multiple cheeses) at Sam's Club

     

Post a Comment

<< Home