Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Chapter 29


I’ve been patiently waiting for Constantine to make its way to DVD… I saw this flick in theatres a few months ago, and it was very, very good. It’s my opinion, of course, and people are free to disagree with me for any number of reasons including:

A) It’s another comic book movie, having changed much about the characters.
B) Keanu Reeves talks. A lot.
C) It dabbles pretty heavily in the occult *and* Catholicism.

To each their own. But let me tell you what *worked* for this flick: Tilda Swinton did a bang-up job as the virtuous (and mildly androgynous) angel Gabriel. I can’t wait to see her as Jadis, the White Witch, in the upcoming The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Bam. Shia LeBeouf turned in a memorable performance as the apprentice and sidekick Chas.

The movie comes in at a well-packed two hours. The pacing remains consistent throughout, that a looming threat may be more than our hero can handle, with or without supernatural assistance. Not to mention the fact that he’s been diagnosed with terminal, inoperable lung cancer. Compounded by his less than noble history, Constantine is looking at spending eternity in the company of the demons he sent to Hell. Eeep.

As good as I found this movie to be, my favorite part can be attributed to one man: Peter Stormare. His arrival as Old Scratch himself is fantastic. I’ve seen plenty of actors play the Devil, but Stormare’s choices with the role mark him far and away as my favorite. He’s just such a… bastard. Smug, rude, apathetic and self-amusing, Constantine’s Prince of Lies is what I’d imagine the Devil to be like. Not that I intend on ever meeting him.

I’m glad to add Constantine to my collection. If you enjoy a good comic book movie, check it out. You won’t regret it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home