Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Night Owl... or Insomniac?

I've been yawnin' all day. Can't seem to rub the sleepy-dust out of my eyes, and with good reason: I didn't get much sleep last night.

Went to see a *terrific* production of Last 5 Years last night at the Metro Stage in DC, t'was most excellent, verily. What I never fully realized was that there *is* no dialogue in the entire show. What you hear on the excellent soundtrack is what you experience in a theatre; you're not missing anything, except a handful of 30-second monologues that add little to the story.

Pedro and I went out afterwards for a Guinness and a Stogie, so I didn't get home until roughly 12:30, after the Metro trip home. Of course, my new computer arrived yesterday, so I spent some time setting it up before crashing. Tonight, after rehearsal for Book of Days, I'm going to see about transferring files over from the older computer.

Anyway: the yawning. A friend here at work called me on it, and asked me if I was suffering from insomnia. I shook my head no, and replied that I was just being a night-owl. She asked me what the difference was: "Insomniacs can't sleep. Night-owls choose not to." She made a "Hmm! Good point!" face and went back to her work.

As an experienced dabbler in both night-owlery and insomnia, I feel well-qualified to tell the difference. I much prefer the former. Of course, some nights I have to go for a late walk just to tire myself out enough to get some shut-eye... so it's a line between the two. Not a terribly fine line, but a line none the less. That line is a little fuzzy at the moment, but that's probably just the sleepy-dust talking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home