Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, December 02, 2005

Great Day In The Mornin’

Hot damn. I feel good. I feel really good.

Last night’s final rehearsal for A Christmas Carol went well, with an audience in attendance no less. A few snafus, but nothing that shattered the spell we were weaving, I hope.

I. Love. Showbiz. Just in case there was some modicum of doubt on your part, about whether or not I was really enjoying myself when I hit the boards-- I love it. I love it when the audience is invisible in the dark, and the only thing you can hear is their collective breathing. Feeling their eyes on you. Outstanding.

That connection, that palpable channel right into them, is just… *shudders* It’s different from acting with a 4th wall; when it comes down, that’s the closest it gets to… something. Words fail me.

You’re not supposed to look at the audience. I mean, yes, face them, by all means, but to actually look at them is generally not the desired intent. Unless you’re narrating. Or unless you’ve been tugging at them all night for just the right moment to present itself. Or you’re ‘on the phone’ with no-one else to speak to.

I’m a junkie, I admit it. I’m a stage-junkie. And I do so love to get my fix.

Have a terrific morning, people. See you around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home