Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Pair o' Lone Fiddles

(And Yes: I am fully aware that you cannot have a pair of lone anythings. It's poetic. Let 'er rip.)

A Pair o' Lone Fiddles
So here we sit
Just You and I
A Pair of Lone Fiddles makin’ song
We got no words
The tune’s a game
You start and I play along.

Now we been separate
A plenty long time
Of that there ain’t no doubt
Yet here we are
A Pair of Lone Fiddles
Playin’ our miseries out.

A job where being

Too good stinks
Like a candle burnin’ too bright
And a special old gig
That in half an hour
Feels a waste o’ half the night.

The thing about us
(Here I mean you and me)
is we can both play alone
but thing of a pair is
what I’m hopin’ you’ll see
it makes it a whole nicer goin’.

When the strings have been set
And the bows are in swing
Skippin’ up the arm and down
I gotta confess
(Between you and me)
It’s harder to wear this frown.

A Pair of lone fiddles
What we’ve got, you n’ I
Is a song that beats on truth
When we’re both playing
There’s just one song
And I don’t need more proof

The notes we’re playin’
When mad or in joy
They sound real good either way
Where the song goes next
I don’t rightly know

But I’m glad all the same we can play.

5 Comments:

  • At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    so is this about music, friendship, or a crush on a girl?

     
  • At 1:47 PM, Blogger Casey Jones said…

    Unlike my English Professor, I'd say poetry is OPEN to interpretation...

    It's mostly about friendship, of being on the same page as someone else.

    Something she said about "playing lone fiddles" sparked the idea.

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So are you in a fight with a friend or something?

     
  • At 3:25 PM, Blogger Casey Jones said…

    Nope.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry. I guess I just don't get poetry.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home