Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Chance, Chance, Chance


I don't know why it's taken me so long to see it, but the wide majority of my interests involve no small amount of sheer dumb luck, if they're to succeed.

Auditions: For stage shows, for voice-work notices, for the odd screen gig. It's not much more than showing up (or submitting a demo) and hoping for the best.

Writing: I'm working on my second comic book; and when I have the necessary materials ready I'll mail them, e- or otherwise, to some comic publishers that accept submissions. Last time; I counted myself lucky to get rejection letters that actually went into some detail. They're under no obligation to even answer you, if they're not interested. That's just how it works.

"Here I am if you want me", #1: Next week, I'll be shipping demo CDs to ad agencies, talent agencies, books-on-tape companies, and yes; cartoon studios all over the place. They're not asking for them, but they won't toss them into the trash unlistened to, either. I'm having 100 copies made, and will go through a large number right off the bat. Again-- these places are under absolutely no obligation to contact me. I could get a dozen calls, I could get zero.

"Here I am if you want me", #2: In June, the League of Washington Theatres is holding its annual cattle-call. Hundreds of professional actors will show up for all of ninety seconds apiece to do their thing. I'm going to be one of them. Yet another venture that could be great, or yield absolute bubkes.

Hmm. I can't say why that's on my mind, but there it is. That's showbiz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home