Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Thursday, October 26, 2006

No Witty Title, I Just Love These Books.


I'm reading Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveler's Wife for what must be the fourth time. I absolutely love this book. It is one of my all-time favorites.

I mean, people buy books in the first place so that they can read them more than once, don't they? Otherwise we'd just go to the library. TTW is the first book I ever deliberately sat down and chatted on with friends, in this case fellow cast-members of Proof. We'd all just devoured the book. My first and only 'book club' moment.

Can't seem to get enough of the books in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, either. I've read most of them at least twice. The same goes for Kingdom Come by Mark Waid & Alex Ross; one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. Likewise Alan Moore & Dave Gibbons' Watchmen.

Why do we do that? Re-read books we've already pored over, more than once? They hold no surprises. Punchlines lose their impact a bit, as do twists in the story. Nevertheless; I can't get enough of the aforementioned works. And others.

Heck, Christopher Lee reads the Lord of the Rings trilogy annually. That's quite a few times, for a man in his eighties.

I dunno. So, what are your faves? What books can't you leave behind? I'd love to hear.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gawd Almighty, I have a lot. If I had to just pick one to go on a deserted island with, it would be The Long Halloween. I can ALWAYS go for that book. Also Racine's Phedre. The language in that play is orgasmic.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home