Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, January 21, 2005

If I Wanted A Sermon, I'd See My Dad On Sunday

Oy...

Paul, we get it. I get it. I really do. Enough already. Please. Girl power good. Woman strooong. Can ya stop beating us over the head with it?

Paul Taylor does a webcomic that goes by the name of Wapsi Square. Usually, it's quite good. Very good, in fact. The art is his own, the jokes are good, and if there are no jokes, then the humorous situation gets me to smile. I haven't smiled yet, reading Wapsi Square this year.

Granted; the year is young, but my statement is no less true for it. Taylor has taken the story down a bizarre, frankly depressing tack these past weeks. A spirit that could be the essence of depression and/or suicide has been slithering towards the main character all week, speaking backwards and makin' her cry. Correction; she was crying when the spooky girl showed up. Today, *inspiring music rises* she found her strength to tell the spook where she could stick it. Because, she is a confident, independent person after all! Hooray!

*Shuts music off* If I wanted a freakin' sermon, I'd see my dad on Sunday. He's a minister. It's his job to occasionally sound, well, preachy. I really don't need it in a damn webcomic.

"But Casey," you may think to yourself, "if you don't like it, just don't read it."

I do like it! Ordinarily! It's just over the last month and a half Paul Taylor has decided to turn his strip into a fortune cookie brought to us by the Lifetime channel. Fuck! But today, at last, the storyline appears to be resolved. I really hope it's over already and he can get back to his normal tone of light-heartedness without all the nobility shining brightly out of his characters' every orifice. Enough is enough.

I've met people like some of the characters in the strip, people like the barista who serves the coffee. The type of person to offer you advice when you didn't ask for any, let alone in some little nugget-of-wisdom fashion. That rubs me entirely the wrong way. It also ticks me off to hear people ask someone what they've got to feel stressed or depressed about, like it's a deliberate decision on their part. (Another recent goings-on of the strip.) We all have moods. Some of them are good, some of them are bad. And if it were any of that person's business, I'd have already shared what I was feeling a bit harried over. Some people are optimists, others are pessimists. Don't take away my right to be an asshole!

I'm aware that I sound like a bit of an ass right now. That's fine. I'm comfortable with that. I'm still getting the hang of a good snark. Regardless, it's the topic on the top of my head at the moment.

There you have it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home