Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Yay! Acting Class!

I started a new Working Actor's Workshop tonight. It was interesting, for a lot of reasons.

For starters, I haven't taken an acting class since college. I know that actors are supposed to keep on honing their craft and stuff. At the same time, for the last few years, I thought "I'm trained. I've got the degree, I don't need any more classes. Or at least, I don't want any more." And I didn't. And I haven't. Until now.

The subject of the class is getting to work on things that we find are weaknesses. Achilles' heels. We started with material we were comfortable, and turned it on its head. I started with a monologue from Proof. The teacher had us make deliberate choices that frankly, made me uncomfortable. Turning the character on his head, making it a completely different character. It still worked, in a weird way. It took some doing. But it worked.

I'm looking forward to the next class. This is going to be an interesting challenge...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home