Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Thanks, Granddad.

Hooray for the way things work out sometimes.

As a writer (among other things), having a printer that actually works is vital. I don't really have an office at home; I have a laptop, a coffee table, and an end table on which rested the recently defunct P.O.S. printer that was old, dirty, and finally, dead. This thing wasn't a top of the liner to begin with, but most of the time it still worked. Up until about a month ago.

I forget what I was trying to print out, likely a copy of my résumé in the continuing search for new employment. Instead of a list of my accomplishments, I get random spewy data that I can make neither heads nor tails of. Long live the printer, the printer is dead.

This was on the advent (bwa ha ha) of the Christmas season, and so I reluctantly asked my Dad if he could start looking around for cheap printers. I was planning to do the same. Not two weeks later, my Granddad's own scanner went kaput. His son, my uncle, convinced him to get a new printer/scanner that was one in both. Which left him with a relatively new (less than two years old) printer to dispose of.

Well. I picked it up from my Granddad last week, and despite a few hitches (making a second trip for the power cable, downloading needed software), it works like a charm. I printed out a copy of the different colored versions of the test page for Tuxxer, and the printer (an HP Deskjet 5550, discontinued line) handled the colors like a dream.

Granddad even threw in extra ink cartridges.

I know I like to complain. There are some good examples of my complaining prowess on this page, further down the line. But I ain't complainin'. Right now, I'm just thankful.

Thanks, Granddad. I owe you one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home