Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Sunday, January 02, 2005

Another Step.

Progress is a beautiful thing. Tuxxer continues to inch towards reality in ink and paper. I’m at the coloring stage, and am in the process of screening colorists. I’ve heard back from three so far. One has an extensive portfolio already, and declined to do one of the 12 pages to audition for the job. (I’ve seen his work, he did an issue of G.I. Joe.) Another has promised to have his demo page to me by Monday, and the third has already sent me his sheet.

It looks wonderful. I’m hesitant to post it on the web, as it might be a potential conflict to getting it published later on (no problem walking on eggshells there), but trust me when I say it looks great. The most satisfying part of all of it... it’s happening. It’s really happening.

I have no delusions about this being a hit, or even published. But I’m getting to the point where I can print it out and hold it in my hands, as finished pages of an actual comic book. Even if it’s only for me.

When I was in college, I wrote a novel. A Buffy novel (confirming, if it hadn’t already been managed, my everlasting Dork status), to be precise. I spent over a year putting it together, penning an original villain, writing flashbacks, placing the story in the timeline of the show where it could do the least damage. I was and remain a great fan of the show. The day I wrote “The End” was one of the coolest of my sophomore year. I made my submission to Pocket Books, by the book (fa fa fa) and in respect to all their rules and regulations. 20 months later, I got a letter (including the chapter of my manuscript) saying they weren’t interested.

It’s strange, but I was still high on cloud nine. The context of the rejection letter proved that they must have read it, pondered it, even if only to turn it down. I didn’t even mind that I couldn’t submit it anywhere else (the price of writing something for a franchise). I’d tackled it and finished it.

That’s part of the reason I’m campaigning for Tuxxer. It’s original as I can make it. It’s detailed, it’s interesting (according to the people that have read it), and it’s mine. Literally. If it doesn’t fly at one comic label, I can try it anywhere else I please. Regardless of whether or not it ever gets published, it’ll be finished. And that’s all the reason I need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home