Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Back in the Trough

Tonight is the first night of rehearsals for The Comedy Pigs I have been to in quite some time. Yes, we had off for Christmas and New Year's, but before that I was involved in Proof and had no time to go to the improv group's practices. I like doing the Comedy Pig thing. It's fun. It's an opportunity to show off a bit (Improv is one of my best strengths).

They also do some sketches and singing, which is fun. I just don't know about something. When I joined the group, it was with the understanding that I could take a hiatus if a play came up that I wanted to focus on. That was Proof. Once it really got under way, I fell out of Frederick entirely. Now I'm ready to go back, but I wonder for how long? There are auditions in January and February I want to go to. If I make either of those shows, I'm right back where I was three months ago. Is that fair to the team? I don't know.

The other side, of course, is sticking strictly with the Pigs. (Great group, but the name could use work.) I was super-enthusiastic about joining the team in the first place because of my Chicago aspirations; namely to be a member of Second City some day. Learning the ropes when and where I can is integral to that.

It's the 'dog with two bones' scenario. The pooch stares at his reflection in a lake, with a bone in his mouth. The bone in the reflection looks pretty good, better than the one in his mouth. So, he drops his own to get at the one in his reflection, only to lose both. I don't want to be that guy- er, dog.

Meh. Any thoughts, people?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home