Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Bitch, Bitch, Bitch

I’ve never understood the practical value of certain things. They appear at first glance to be somewhat useful, but before long I realize that they’re actually a bit stupid. Things like wicker trash baskets and keyboards with nothing but stiff keys.

Sure, wicker looks nice, but how practical is it for use as a trash can? They only come in one size, small, and since the weave isn’t water-tight, your only real use for the things is paper. Okay. So it’s an office trash can. The only problem is that if you decide to have a soda or something near by, if there’s so much as four drops left in the can, when you toss it in the trash the can is invariably going to land tab-down. Which means sugary water is going to make *something* sticky that it shouldn’t. Fine: just throw away paper and ‘dry’ things like used up pens and pencils in there. Still an office trash can. But the thing is so small it fills up in no time, at which point you have to pour it into a garbage bag, or just a bigger trash can.
Stupid wicker trash can.

As for the keyboard with stiff keys… I don’t like ‘em. I’m using one right now, and I don’t like ‘em. I don’t have carpal tunnel syndrome or arthritis, but using this thing certainly isn’t helping. Having to almost pound on the keys to type is tiresome and it slows me down. It’s a manufacturing issue. You have the easy-type keyboards, and the stiff-type keyboards. My hands don’t need a work-out! Kaplahr. Stupid keyboard. Stupid fingers.

I’m feeling just a bit grouchy. Writing (a script I’m working on) helps, but so does coming here to vent. With a stiff keyboard. You know what? Hang on a second...

Problem solved. I went and traded out my new, pleasing to the eye, quiet, bright white keyboard in for a slightly yellowed, used, sharp cornered noisy not-gonna-give-me-CTS-in-half-the-time keyboard. And it kinda makes me a little happier to know that at least *something* is within my arena of control to change if I see fit. And I do see fit. Very fit.

As for the wicker trash basket, it isn’t mine to replace or remove, so it’ll just stay put. With me quietly resenting it…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home