Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, July 01, 2005

Duck, Duck, Duck...

A game of Tag has been going around these last few days, traveling from blog to blog. The people involved in it are handing out candid, potentially embarrassing tidbits about themselves with only the slightest provocation. And that’s neat. If they were super-heroes, their arch-nemeses could simply stop by their website to find out all sorts of helpful facts (like who to kidnap in order to get them to play ball).

Not having been tagged myself, I figure that’s no excuse not to get into the swing of things and be frank as all get-out. But I don’t have to follow their guidelines, either. So there.

Some stupid things I’ve done:
Picked more than one verbal fight in English class with the teacher. He was asking for it, and he knew it. I shouldn’t have taken the bait, but what the hell. You’re only young once.

I’ve also sabotaged some of my relationships by letting sleeping dogs lie too long and holding out on ant-hill problems; waiting for them to become much bigger problems. ‘Cause I’m smart like that.

I’ve held my tongue when I shouldn’t have, and I’ve blurted out things that did me no good to divulge whatsoever. I’m still trying to find an easier way to determine the difference.

Biggest Influence on My Life:

That would be my brother, Andy. He’s three years my senior, and I look up to him a great deal. He’s smart, he’s happy, and he’s living the life he wants to live. Andy makes things happen, whether it’s with his ambitions for
his website (constantly growing), his marriage, or his job. I’m not there yet. Well, I’m smart. That’s a decent start. I’m trying hard to accomplish my goals, and they happily diverge from my brother’s, but I’m not there yet, nor will I be any time soon. Failures happen, and I just pick up and do it again.

Working Time Machine, Who Would You Dine With?

I’m assuming these are five different meals, because I’d rather not gel all these people together at the same table.

1. Adolf Hitler. I’d go back to his paper-hanging days, (I’m a blue-eyed blonde, he’d love me), take him to dinner, and get a feel for what the hell he was thinking. If I couldn’t change his mind, I’d just poison his dessert. Jerk.

2. Ingrid Bergman. ‘Nuff said.

3. Gilda Radner. I think I would have liked her. She’s one of the reasons I want to do Saturday Night Live, some day, and every account of her has described a pleasant, warm, cheerful woman with a great sense of humor.

4. My grandmother. She died when I turned 9. I’d like to see her and talk to her, now that I’m a grown-up.

5. My kid. If I ever have a son or daughter, I’d like to meet them now, while I’m still young, when they’re grown up and we can just get to know each other outside the roles of Father and Child. I’d buy my kid dinner.

3 Non-Supernatural Wishes:
1. I’d wish that people could see outside themselves, from other people’s perspectives. I’d dearly like to understand others better than I do. And I’d like to be understood better, too.

2. I’d wish that I were ridiculously wealthy. I could bankroll my ambitions, for starters. I’m a generous guy, when the funds are there to back it up, and I could do a hell of a lot of good with money to burn. And since money talks, it’d help to have the gigantic megaphone.

3. I’d wish that I could let go of my hang-ups, old scars, everything psychological and subconscious that’s just in the way of being ready.

4. (Weren’t expecting it, were ya!) I wish I actually enjoyed exercise. Bam.

There’s nothing terribly note-worthy about my town; either in things to avoid or in landmarks to visit. This is me skipping that question.

A Life-Changing Event:
Falling in love with Her. One of the most incredible women I’ve ever known and cared for turned out to be a lying, deceitful woman who never showed me her true face. She broke my heart like never before, or since. If I’d never met her… I’d have a much easier time trusting the woman in my life (when there is one). It’s not impossible, but it’s harder than it ought to be. A lot harder. That’s pretty life-changing, if you ask me.

Insert Freebie Here:
If there’s anything in particular you’d like to know or are curious about, ask me in a comment to the post, and I’ll answer it in a post. I’m in a candid mood.

Tag. You’re it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home