Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Could Be Worse, Could Be Juggling Chainsaws


It should come as no surprise that I’ve been doing my share of thinking lately. However, rather than over-thinking a particular topic, dear reader, I think I’ve managed to spread it around to a fair amount so that all the bagel chips get their own share of lox cream cheese. (What do you want? I’m hungry.)

I do a lot of writing. A lot. Of writing. And wise people have said that writers shouldn’t try to work on too many things at once; as it divides their attention to the point that they can’t work on any of the projects to any degree of productivity. That may be true. Certainly when someone is on a deadline.

I’m not on a deadline. Nope, no deadlines for Casey. Oh, sure, I may have personal due dates I’d like to keep myself to, but I can be pretty flexible when the occasion hits. It’s hitting me.

And this, this right here, is exactly why I love having a computer and a little zip drive that fits on my keychain. I can take my work with me without even carrying a pad of paper. Sweet.

Roughly two weeks ago, I started work on what is hopefully an original concept for a story. Completely vampire-free, which is an exclusion I hope to make more of in the future. Then, about five days ago, I hit a dry spell. I couldn’t start chapter four to start my life. There are things that are going to happen next plot-wise; and while I’m fairly certain I know what they are, I haven’t been able to make it happen.

There was a period of flummoxing. I was flummoxed (and I love that word! Flummox. Heh.). And then something wonderful happened. I found myself able to work on another project I started earlier!

I’m still hoping to write a good printable comic book one of these days, and to that end; I’ve been working on the first issue of All Fall Down. I’m not going to go into any kind of detail, but it too is 100% Nosferatu-less. (Let’s see that one become a word. Has great flow.) It’s a more traditional type of story, but still a hopefully original premise. I’m wrapping up the first draft of the first issue of the mini-series. Woot. That feels good. Once it’s complete, I can start the ball rolling on this venture all over again.

And I can go back to my other story. I can work on some other project that accumulated a millimeter of dust in the old grey matter. I really think it’s okay to juggle ‘em so long as I keep it reasonable, and I’m working earnestly on something. Here’s hoping, right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home