Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, December 03, 2004

The Intangibility of Dreams

I'm a writer. I like writing. Some of my best material has come out of memorable dreams. (My best to date, actually, came from a dream less than a year ago.) I was asleep this morning, and I could feel the scene being laid.

I saw a small room with closed doors. There were about half a dozen or more characters, mostly men, all in the room. No two were the same, different ages, et cetera. They knew each other, and were about to talk about something important. I was there, ready to take notes, it was going to be a good one, I could tell.

I get lucky sometimes, and can remember vivid, sharp details about a dream. This time, I didn't even get to see it. I only had the slightest inkling of who they were. Having just recently re-read No Exit, it probably had an influence on the scenario. It was shaping up to be something impossible in real life; i.e. they were all the same person, at different points in his life, or something. The women present were people he'd known at one point or another. I'm not sure, and didn't get the chance to find out, because my alarm went off.

Stupid bad timing... Rrr.

Come to think of it, the best ones always seem to get interrupted. I remember one time in college, I was madly in love with this girl and it was completely unrequited. The only time I dreamt about her romantically (in the dream she started to kiss my hand), and my roommate woke me up. I was ready to throttle him. I didn't, but the dream was over and that was it.

Stupid bad timing... Rrr.

Ever see the Final Fantasy movie? The main heroine had a device that recorded and played back her dreams. Now that's something I wouldn't mind getting my hands on. Once you wake up, you have to focus to remember any details, otherwise they're gone forever. If you get to play out the dream in its entirety in the first place.

Sweet dreams, all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home