Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, February 04, 2005

Kick Me Square In The Pants. It'll Hurt Less.

Hullo, all.

I did not have a good day, yesterday. No, not a good one. Not quite satisfying on the old day-o-meter, when it comes right down to it...

I got off work early, and decided now was as good a time as any to take my car in for an overdue oil change. The mechanic asked, "Anything else?" I asked him to take a look at the front left tire. It had been squeaking a bit.

A few hours later, I got the call: "Well, Kenny," (I hate being called Kenny) they began, "You need new brakes. New tires. New brake fluid. Alignment." Ker-CHING. Well, Ker-CHING for them, anyway.

I've been with these mechanics a long time. Last time I had my oil changed, they mentioned that I would need new tires sometime in the near future. They were right. The particular Ker-CHING involved this round was enough to put a serious damper on my extra-curricular plans for, well, a while. Casey's not going out to dinner again any time soon.

A feather in their caps, regardless of whether or not they have caps, the guys kept the shop open for me, for an extra half-hour, making sure my car was finished today. They said it would be done today, and they kept their word.

Later last night, I was driving out and about with my girlfriend, Beth. We went to pick up her repaired cell phone, and I thought a drive together would be a decent way to spend some time.

When my windshield wipers stopped working.

Mid-swipe, they just died on me. I got to the parking lot, left the car on, and fiddled with the wipers. They weren't frozen or stuck or anything. They'd just stopped working. The mechanism that turned the blades was still going, I could hear it in the car. But the wipers weren't responding. Something must have snapped in the mechanism, I don't know.

Something almost snapped in my head, too. It was too much for the same day. The SAME. DAY. My car is back at the shop. I left it there last night, after a quick stop at home to pick up Beth's car. I can't afford not to have working wipers, not with the amount of highway driving I'm doing these days. It's just-- Gah.

Feel free to deposit a good strong kick anywhere in the general pants area. It'd hurt a good deal less than the double-gun middle finger from the Fates. I'm just gonna go over here, go fetal for a little while, and think about what I've done. See you on the flipside.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home