Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Off To Class


This morning, I’m off to Baltimore University for the first of four classes in Voice-Over technique. I’m prepped: Got directions, a notebook, a check for this week’s tuition, tape recorder, and a CD with the best samples of what I’ve done so far. So there’s that.

I think what I like most about the idea of this class is that I have no idea what to expect. I’ve been speaking in public for years, and modifying my voice into all sorts of crazy dialects and characters for just as long. By all standards, I’m damn good at both. And I want to get better.

I want to hone my timing. I want to know how to take one look at copy and know which words are going to require more punch. I want to rid myself of any ‘bad habits’ in the booth and be the absolute greatest threat to everyone else in the business that I can be.

That way, if and when I join the necessary unions and step up to the big leagues… well. I’d be able to take myself more seriously. And so will everyone else.

Pardon the term… but I really like the sound of that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home