Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Monday, June 26, 2006

Desire, *Schmesire*


I'm more than a little fed up with the notion of desire. Specifically, wanting things that are not necessarily good for us.

To hell with that.

Despite everything else, we're human beings. Our instincts drive us toward what's necessary for our survival: Food. Shelter. A mate. Things (or Persons) without which, survival is either not possible or not worth it.

With all due respect to the establishment, desire is a good thing. We want things for a reason. We want people for a reason. I can't think of much that's more frustrating, condemning, nor stymying than a perpetually unfulfilled want.

Granted: It's been said that wanting something is frequently not so great as having it; but I remain of the camp of "Let me find out for myself, thank you".

Following certain trains of logic, you can tell a lot about a person by what he or she desires. Wealth. Power. Security. Stimulation of a physical, emotional, or intellectual nature. (On occasions, all three.)

Regardless. There are things I want in this life that I will never have. C'est la vie. They are not the only things I want for myself. But the fact that I wanted them in the first place, I hope, will say something good on my behalf. Good taste, if nothing else.

I'm probably not making a great deal of sense. That's okay. If I could say more on the subject, I would.

In any case. I'm firmly of the belief that that which we desire (excluding addictions) is on some level, inherently good for us. I don't have everything figured out, but I've gathered that much at least.

Take from it what you will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home