Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Revisiting the Subject of Remakes


In roughly a month's time, the remake of The Wicker Man will hit theaters. Whether it will burn out quickly or go on like a house on fire; remains to be seen.

I've seen remakes before; and more often than not they inspired me to go check out the original. (Just the fact that they remade Stepford Wives made me check it out. I loved the original and never bothered with the updated version.) This one will mark the first time that a remake arrives for a flick I already know and love.

I'm crazy about The Wicker Man. It's creepy. It's unique. It keeps you engaged, and its finale' chills ya right to the bone. It stars Christopher Lee at the top of his game, for crying out loud. It was also written by Anthony Shaffer, who wrote my favorite script of all time, Sleuth. Love it.

So now, a remake starring Nicolas Cage is coming out... and there can't help but be discrepancies in tone, mood, and plot. It is a remake, after all. Words like 'tribute' and 'homage' have been thrown around... I dunno. I do know I'll go see it, regardless.

Why not update some other creepy classics, now that we have the FX to back it up? Watcher In The Woods was spooky when I was a kid; updated it could probably give kids some genuine nightmares. I get goosebumps just thinkin' about it. Yeesh.

Okay, so there's no real point to the diatribe. *Shrugs* Sorry. Just... Looking forward to a flick. Hopefully it'll leave me with more than a bad case of deja vu.

Burn, baby, burn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home