Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, July 08, 2005

Progress Report

Oy. Just oy. It’s a little vexing: I’m not in a relationship right now, nor do I necessarily think I should be in one. But that doesn’t stop the desire, all the same.

I’ll admit, I have hang-ups. I do. I’m a bit insecure about how I look (and am trying to lose some weight), but tie in my current financial situation and its ramifications… and I don’t have a great deal to offer. I guess it’s about self-respect as much as anything else. Namely, not having enough.

Is this personal info? Yeah. But it’s also what’s on my mind at the moment, so there it is. I figure half the appeal of reading a Blog is to get an idea of what someone is thinking. “I could stand to lose weight and earn more money.” There you have it.

I’m continually answering leads on Voice123.com, trying to get voice-over work. I’ve got the necessary tools (my demo’s) and the contacts at the site to go through, but I keep missing Opportunity’s knocks. No luck so far. Does that mean I give up? No.

My comic book has unfortunately fallen to the way-side: The artwork needs improving, the plot is too involved, characters can be trimmed and things can be simplified in general. I’m not upset by this; I want it to be the best story it can be, regardless of the format. If that means a re-write and a face-lift, so be it. Not that it makes the task of finding the money to fund a second draft any easier… I still owe money to a friend of mine for Round One. Time is still on my side, though. I’m young and healthy, so I’m hopefully not going anywhere. But the growing list of complications to reach the goal is somewhat intimidating. Do I give up? No.

In the meantime, I’ve taken to drafting a TV Pilot screenplay, with the same improvements in mind. One way or another, this *will* come to pass. Half-way through the first draft, I already know it will need work. The way it’s shaped right now, it’ll be too long. But it’s better to finish the first draft and re-work from there, rather than stop-and-start with mini touch-ups on the way. It’s the only way to actually finish the thing. So do I give up? No.

I’m aware that this isn’t the most optimistic or cheerful of reports. Things kinda suck at the moment. But short of calling it quits, I don’t have a whole bunch of options. So there.

I’ve got the Comedy Pigs’ anniversary show tonight and tomorrow night, in Frederick. I’m looking forward to it. You’re still invited, if you’ve the time.

One more thing: Last night, I got 8 hours sleep, just the right amount, for the first time in longer than I can remember. I didn’t stay up ‘til one A.M., and it wasn’t a Saturday or Sunday where I overslept like crazy, either. If that ain’t worth mentioning, I don’t know what is.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why do you want to be in a relationship? Is someone special driving that or do you just want to be with anyone? From reading your posts I don't think you are ready for anything or anyone but that's just my opinion.

    You are a good writer. I'd concentrate on that if I were you. You sure make me laugh!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home