Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Friday, June 22, 2007

No, No, No


They're doing it. They're going to make Watchmen into a movie.

Shit.

Directed by Zack Snyder, mastermind behind Dawn of the Dead and 300... I was gonna try to say something pithy there and it didn't work. I like Zack's movies. Dawn is a fave of mine, actually. That doesn't mean Watchmen is going to be a good movie.

"But Casey", you might think, "You love Watchmen. You love Alan Moore's work." This is true. It's just that I like his books a lot more before they get tackled by Hollywood.


Swamp Thing. From Hell. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. V for Vendetta. Constantine. Good lord, how many of his stories have been taken to the ringer? (Heather will jump down my throat about V for Vendetta; as she loved the movie. She'd have Hugo Weaving's babies in a heartbeat.) Even when they don't suck, they have little to do with the plot, the themes, or the characters.

There is simply too much material to work with in the book. Okay? It's too big. Too many players with their own character arcs. Cram that into two hours, or god forbid, less?

Nevertheless, Snyder's going to take the persian rug that is Watchmen and turn it into a Bathmat. Or worse, a Cosby sweater.

I sound like a prick right now, and I'm okay with that. The book is one of my all time favorites; not to mention one of the best pieces of fiction written in the 20th century. Don't believe me? Just ask TIME Magazine. I don't want to see it messed with.

Damn.

In any case. There that is. Rant over.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home