Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Hmm...

This isn’t the first time the thought has occurred to me; but here it is again anyway:

Do I want too much?

I’ve been working on putting a comic book together (and a fine comic it is, too) for the last 20+ months. I’m also trying to foster an acting career. In the last 8 months, I’ve started work to get a voice-over career going. I work with an improv/sketch troupe out of Frederick. And during all of this, I’ve been writing Slam Poetry off and on (currently off), the occasional play and comedy sketch. In two weeks my first play will be performed in public to a paying audience. (Which is to say it’s the first play to be produced, and of the plays I’ve written it is also the first play I wrote. I’ve written other plays since.)

Is it too much? I know plenty of actors. I know one or two playwrights. I know several poets. I know no comic-book authors. And I don’t know any that are trying their hand at more than one or two at the most. Too many fingers in too many pies? Am I spreading myself too thin, or just keeping a lot of nets in the water at once?

I don’t know. I’d rather try my hand at a lot of things (all creative venues) and succeed at one, than try only one and fail. For all the fields I’m trying to accomplish something in, so far they haven’t conflicted with each other. I even planned it out in my head, once: being able to work on more than one at the same time…

I fantasized that I was a touring actor (which I’ve been, and could be again) with a comic book to publish. All I’d need would be my laptop. Granted, it would take some efficient time management… but one thing road actors have plenty of is time. Do the show, go back to the hotel, and write. Wire the script to the artists at hand and network everything very neatly to keep happy whatever publisher that was making Tuxxer happen (now Nocturne).

No one’s publishing. I have yet to land a single voice-over job. And I’m working on it.

I’m working on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home