Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Got Any Spare Blankets?

Folks, the Internet really is a marvel. This proves that people are using the 'net for things besides sending each other funny video clips and pictures of their cat...

I received a request for help from out of the blue, from a small city in Russia-- a man named Valentin sent me the following:

"If you have any old used sleeping bag, warm blanket, warm clothes, portable heater, canned food, vitamins, water boiler, medicines against cold weather, any hygiene products, and could donate something to us, please write to my free e-mail address xxxxxxx and I will write you our home address where you can send it."

I don't think this is a scam. If it is, Valentin's sure got his sights aimed low; since he's not asking for money. Just the means to warm himself and his family since the powers that be shut off the gas for half of Kaluga. (And if you're wondering how he contacted me, he used the internet at his local library.)

I'm going to put together a care package and ship it as soon as I can. If anyone cares to make a donation of their own, just leave a comment here or email me, and I'll let you know how you can get in touch with Valentin for yourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home