Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Fumble!


At the moment, I am less than thrilled with the services of a certain voice-over website.

I am not a happy panda.

I received an audition notice over a week ago, asking for a custom demo, using material from their own copy. That’s fine. The website in question has an online mp3 recorder that can save your demo and email it conveniently *cough!* to the potential client.

They haven’t been able to access it. I haven’t been able to access it. Oh, don’t get me wrong, I can open the proper demo request, stare right at the ‘Play’ button on the demo I recorded a week ago, and yes, folks, I can even click on it. Which I did.

Nothing happened.

Cut to yesterday. For what seems like the umpteenth time, the very patient client asks me to re-record the demo and email it to him directly. I emailed the website and asked them flat out to email me the mp3 recorded. Not a link, just the file. They have yet to get back to me. If they remained unable to send the sound file, I requested an explanation as to why not, and that an apology be issued to the client for wasting their time.

Still no word. You’d think with a bit of vitriol, a guy could get some results. But patience never was one of my virtues.

If I sound like I’m taking this a bit steeply, let me explain something about V.O.’s in general. Casting happens quickly. I’m not the only voice-artist the client was looking at, and in the week we lost due to technical difficulties, they would have been perfectly in their rights to go with someone else. You blink, and sometimes you miss it. I count myself lucky that the gentleman’s waited this long for results.

I emailed him a home-recorded WAV file this morning. I couldn’t do it from home, WAV files are big and I’m on dial-up. That may change in the near future.

Kaplahr. I’m shaking an angry finger at you, voice-website. Oh, yes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home