Mental Flotsam, Mental Jetsam

Because the only thing that beats going crazy is going crazy with somebody else

Thursday, January 19, 2006

A Malleable Idea


I have to say-- Being a writer (or attempting it) is a strange gig, some days.

I've been working on a screenplay for a few months now, the first draft of which flowed like you wouldn't believe. It took practically no time at all to write. Taking two weeks away from it and trying not to think of how to improve it was difficult. Difficult and damned helpful.

Since then, subjecting the script to the kind of scrutiny it deserves has been off-putting to say the least. It's mine. I wrote it. And in taking looks numbers two and three; certain elements and happenings of plot have been re-worked, re-sequenced, or altered completely.

I like that.

A writer isn't supposed to be married to an idea, it needs to be adaptable in order to survive from one draft to the next. While I'm nowhere near finished, the fact that major plot points could be replaced/etc. without grousing about it; that makes me feel good.

The important thing is the story. It needs to be able to stand on its own, and it needs to be trimmed for length. I'm confident it will get there, and retain what it needs to.

Enough out of me. Have a good night, folks.

Times like this I wish I could sleep at a more reasonable hour...

2 Comments:

  • At 9:50 AM, Blogger Spitfire said…

    What is this "sleep" you speak of? I find all hours to be fiendishly unreasonable. Stories must be told. Somebody get me a bucket of coffee with a red bull chaser! I'll sleep when I'm dead!

     
  • At 4:22 PM, Blogger mr.stinkhead said…

    Sleeeeeeeepppp in heavenly PEACE

     

Post a Comment

<< Home